7th Grade Required Reading & Character Log
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
(please finish by the first day of school)
8th Grade Required Reading:
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
(please finish by the first day of school)
Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
(for discussion in Mr. Engel’s U.S. History Class)
The following lists of books are suggested titles for the summer, but feel free to read whatever you would like. Be sure to keep a running list of books you read, or use the SFS Library Summer Reading Log.
Middle Grade (titles reviewed for grades 3-7)
* Alexander, Kwame. The Crossover + Booked + Rebound + Solo (Free Verse Poetry).
* Chmakova, Svetlana. The Berrybrook Middle School series (Graphic Novel).
Colbert, Brandy. The Only Black Girls in Town (Realistic Fiction).
* Craft, Jerry. The New Kid (Graphic Novel).
Creech, Sharon Walk Two Moons (Realistic Fiction)
Gardner, Whitney. Fake Blood (Graphic Novel).
Gino, Alex. George (LGBTQIA Realistic Fiction).
*Jamieson, Victoria. Roller Girl + All’s Faire in Middle School (Graphic Novel).
Korman, Gordon. Restart (Realistic Fiction).
* Libenson, Terri. The Emmie and Friends series (Realistic Fiction).
* Ostertag, Molly. The Witch Boy series (Fantasy Graphic Novel).
Murphy, Pat The Wild Girls (Realistic Fiction).
*Reynolds, Jason. Track Series (Realistic Sports Fiction).
Rhodes, Jewell Parker. Ghost Boys +Towers Falling (Realistic Fiction)
Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter Series (Fantasy)
* Riordan, Rick. The Trials of Apollo + the Heroes of Olympus + Magnus Chase series (Fantasy).
Saeed, Aisha. Amal Unbound. (Realistic Fiction)
Schmidt, Gary D. The Wednesday Wars + Okay for Now (Realistic Fiction)
Sheinken, Steve. Undefeated (Nonfiction/Football).
Sonnenblick, Jordan Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie + Notes from the Midnight Driver (Realistic Fiction)
Sutherland, Tui. The Wings of Fire series (Fantasy).
Woodson, Jacqueline. Brown Girl Dreaming (Poetry Memoir).
The following books have been reviewed for young adults. However, if you find something on this list that is unappealing or offensive to you as a reader or to your family, please select another book!
Young Adult (titles reviewed for grades 7, 8, or 9+)
Acevedo, Elizabeth. With the Fire on High (Realistic Fiction).
* Albertalli, Becky. Simon Vs. the Homo Sapien’s Agenda (LGBTQIA Realistic Fiction).
Aveyard, Victoria. The Red Queen series(Science Fiction/Dystopian).
Bardugo, Leigh. Shadow and Bone series + Six of Crows series (Fantasy).
Carter, Allie. Not If I Save You First (Thriller).
* Cline, Ernest. Ready Player One (Science Fiction).
Goo, Maurene. The Way You Make Me Feel (Realistic Fiction).
* Gratz, Alan. Projekt 1065 + Refugee (Realistic Fiction)
Halse Anderson, Laurie Speak (Realistic Fiction)
Lewis, John March (3 Book Graphic Novel Historical Fiction Series)
Lu, Marie Warcross series (Science Fiction)
* Han, Jenny. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (Realistic Fiction Series).
Hurston, Neale Zora. Their Eyes Were Watching God (Historical Fiction)
Jennings, Jazz. Being Jazz (LGBTQIA Memoir).
* King, Stacy. Manga Classics Les Miserables + Emma + The Scarlet Letter (Classic Graphic Novels).
* Kuklin, Susan. Beyond MagentaTransgender Teens Speak Out (LGBTQIA Nonfiction).
Levithan, David. Every Day (Science Fiction, Romance).
McManus, Karen. One of Us is Lying (Mystery).
Morrison, Tony, Song of Solomon (Realistic Fiction).
Murphy, Julie. Dumplin’ (Realistic Fiction).
O’Connor, George Olympians (Graphic Novel Series)
Okorafor, Nnedi. Akatawitch (Fantasy).
Orwell, George, 1984 (Science Fiction)
Pierce, Tamora Song of the Lioness Series (Fantasy)
Plath, Sylvia, The Bell Jar (Realistic Fiction)
Powell, Patricia Hruby. Loving Vs. Virginia (Nonfiction Poetry).
Reynolds, Jason. All American Boys + Long Way Down (Realistic Fiction)
Reynolds, Jason and Kendi, Ibram X. Stamped: Racism, Antiracism and You (Nonfiction).
* Saenz, Benjamin Alire. Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe + The Inexplicable Logic of My LIfe (LGBTQIA Historical Fiction).
Sanderson, Brandon. Steelheart (Science Fiction Series).
Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis ( Nonfiction Graphic Memoir).
* Sepetys, Ruta. Between Shades of Gray + Out of the Easy + Salt to the Sea (Historical Fiction).
* Shusterman, Neal Scythe series (Dystopian).
Stevenson, Noelle. Nimona (Fantasy Graphic Novel).
Stone, Nic. Dear Martin (Realistic Fiction).
Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give (Realistic Fiction).
Wang, Jenn. The Prince and the Dressmaker (Graphic Novel).
Watson, Renee. Piecing Me Together (Realistic Fiction).
Wright, Richard. Black Boy (Historical Fiction)
* Yang, Gene Luen. American Born Chinese + Boxers and Saints ( Graphic Novels).
Yoon, Nicola. The Sun is Also a Star + Everything, Everything (Realistic Fiction).
Yousafzai, Malala. I Am Malala (Memoir).
* indicates student favorites
For Comics or Graphic Novels Please also take advantage of our Virtual Library.
Please also look at the following lists created by the Texas Library Association, the Children's Book Council and the American Library Association for age-appropriate recommendations of the newest, best books for children and teens:Tayshas Reading List