UPPER MIDDLE SCHOOL
SUMMER READING LIST
7th Grade Required Reading & Character Log
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
(please finish by the first day of school)
8th Grade Required Reading:
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
(please finish by the first day of school)
Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
(for discussion in Mr. Engel’s U.S. History Class)
The following lists of books are suggested titles for the summer, but feel free to read whatever you would like. Be sure to keep a running list of books you read!
Middle Grade (titles reviewed for grades 3-7)
* Alexander, Kwame. The Crossover + Booked + Rebound + Solo (Free Verse Poetry).
Creech, Sharon Walk Two Moons (Realistic Fiction)
Deuker, Carl. Gym Candy (Sports Realistic Fiction).
Gino, Alex. George (LGBTQIA Realistic Fiction).
*Jamieson, Victoria. Roller Girl + All’s Faire in Middle School (Graphic Novel).
* King, Stacy. Manga Classics Les Miserables + Emma + The Scarlet Letter (Classic Graphic Novels).
Korman, Gordon. Restart (Realistic Fiction).
Murphy, Pat The Wild Girls (Realistic Fiction)
*Reynolds, Jason. Track Series (Realistic Sports Fiction)
Rhodes, Jewell Parker. Ghost Boys+ Towers Falling (Realistic Fiction)
Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter Series (Fantasy)
* Riordan, Rick. The Trials of Apollo series + the Heroes of Olympus + Magnus Chase (Fantasy).
Saeed, Aisha. Amal Unbound. (Realistic Fiction)
Schmidt, Gary D. The Wednesday Wars + Okay for Now (Realistic Fiction)
Sheinken, Steve. Undefeated (Nonfiction/Football).
Sonnenblick, Jordan Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie + Notes from the Midnight Driver (Realistic Fiction)
Woodson, Jacqueline. Brown Girl Dreaming (Poetry Memoir).
The following books have been reviewed for young adults. However, if you find something on this list that is unappealing or offensive to you as a reader or to your family, please select another book!
Young Adult (titles reviewed for grades 7, 8, or 9+)
* Albertalli, Becky. Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (LGBTQIA Realistic Fiction).
Averd, Victoria. The Red Queen (Science Fiction Dystopian series).
Bardugo, Leigh Grisha Verse (3 book Fantasy Series) + Six of Crows +Crooked Kingdom (Fantasy)
Carter, Allie. Not If I Save You First (Thriller).
Chainani, Nidhi. Pashmina (Graphic Novel).
* Cline, Ernest. Ready Player One (Science Fiction).
Gratz, Alan. Projekt 1065 + Refugee (Realistic Fiction)
Halse Anderson, Laurie Speak (Realistic Fiction)
Lewis, John March (3 Book Graphic Novel Historical Fiction Series)
Lu, Marie Warcross (Science Fiction)
* Han, Jenny. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (Realistic Fiction Series).
Hurston, Neale Zora Their Eyes Were Watching God (Historical Fiction)
Jennings, Jazz. Being Jazz (LGBTQIA Memoir).
* Kuklin, Susan. Beyond MagentaTransgender Teens Speak Out (LGBTQIA Nonfiction).
Levithan, David. Every Day (Science Fiction, Dystopian)
Menon, Sandh. From Twinkle, With Love ( Realistic Fiction).
Meyer, Marissa. Heartless, (Fantasy)
Morrison, Tony, Song of Solomon (Realistic Fiction)
Murphy, Julie. Dumplin’ (Realistic Fiction).
O’Connor, George Olympians (Graphic Novel Series)
Orwell, George, 1984 (Science Fiction)
Pierce, Tamora Song of the Lioness Series (Fantasy)
Plath, Sylvia, The Bell Jar (Realistic Fiction)
Powell, Patricia Hruby. Loving Vs. Virginia (Nonfiction Poetry).
Reynolds, Jason. All American Boys + Long Way Down (Realistic Fiction).
* Saenz, Benjamin Alire. Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe + The Inexplicable Logic of My LIfe (LGBTQIA Historical Fiction).
Sanderson, Brandon. Steelheart (Science Fiction Series).
Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis ( Nonfiction Graphic Memoir).
* Sepetys, Ruta. Between Shades of Gray + Out of the Easy + Salt to the Sea (Historical Fiction).
Shusterman, Neal Scythe + Thunderhead
Stevenson, Noelle. Nimona (Fantasy Graphic Novel).
Stone, Nic. Dear Martin (Realistic Fiction).
Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give (Realistic Fiction).
Wang, Jenn. The Prince and the Dressmaker (Graphic Novel).
Watson, Renee. Piecing Me Together (Realistic Fiction).
Wright, Richard. Black Boy (Historical Fiction)
* Yang, Gene Luen. American Born Chinese + Boxers and Saints ( Graphic Novels).
Yoon, Nicola. The Sun is Also a Star + Everything, Everything (Realistic Fiction).
Yousafzai, Malala. I Am Malala (Memoir).
* indicates student favorites